Saturday, August 28, 2010

Small Town!

Another fun fact about Bend (and another reason to add to our list of reasons we love this place) are the summer concert series held at the Les Schwab Amphitheater on the Deschutes River.  We discovered last night that rather than spending $50 per ticket to get in the gates to see the likes of performers such as the Goo Goo Dolls, Steve Miller Band or Willie Nelson, you can sit on the bank of the Deschutes River, or even anchor down in a boat and get the show for free!  So last night was a highlight for me.... we sat on the river, sun setting, thousands of other people sitting around us, watching Johnny Cougar Mellencamp and Bob Dylan.  It was amazing! I have to say, hearing Johnny Cougar sing "Small Town" gave that song a whole new meaning to me... (and brought a little tear to my eye thinking about how amazing this place truly is!)

"No I cannot forget where it is that I come from
I cannot forget the people who love me
Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be

Got nothing against a big town
Still hayseed enough to say
Look who's in the big town
But my bed is in a small town
Oh, and that's good enough for me"
People sitting out on the grass of the Old Mill (restaurants, shops, etc.) across the river from the Amphitheater
Boaters starting to pull in to listen to the music.  To the right of this picture are all the people sitting in the picture above, to the left (the small black building figure in the picture) is the Amphitheater. 

In other news, Dave got another job!  He is now the official HEAD VARSITY baseball coach for Mountain View High School!  While he won't be really coaching until February, he is already being well received in the athletic department.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you guys are having a wonderful time in a great "small town." Can't wait to come and visit in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete