Tuesday, September 14, 2010

California Girl...

So the first week of work flew by, and here we are in week two.  Dave and I are both loving our new jobs!  Dave is getting a lot of experience working in various math classrooms with special education students, and is holding his first baseball team meeting this week.  I have been very busy with assessments, writing reports, and doing psych evals, but I am so happy to be here!  Friday after work was my middle schools first (of many!) happy hours... it was great to hang out with people outside of work- letting us meet more people as well.  We are still SO happy to here, we couldn't think of a better place to live!

On a funnier note, I thought I would share the story of my morning.  Last night we experienced a HUGE pacific northwest thunderstorm.  Lightning, thunder, pouring rain... the whole works!  So I was delighted to see the weather report for today as I was picking out what to wear to work- 80 degrees in Bend! wooo hoo!  So I happily picked out a skirt to wear... it has been kinda chilly so I haven't had the opportunity to wear my normal California wardrobe!  As I got myself off to work this morning at 6:45, my morning temperature reading in my car read 55.  Not bad, considering it was going to warm up to be a beautiful day.  I had to work in La Pine at my high school today, so I began my 30 minute drive. 

And then it happened....

The further I got from Bend, the more my temperature gauge dropped.  50, 45, 40, 35...32! Next thing I know I am driving through a snow covered forest.... in a skirt!  Our little rain storm we had in Bend last night was a SNOW storm in La Pine... only 30 minutes away!  I have graciously accepted the nickname California Girl from colleagues at work, and this didn't help the title one bit.  As I walked into the school this morning, my breathe visible in the cold air... needless to say I looked like an idiot amongst the other staff members bundled up.  It gave me a great laugh to start my day, and I think I have learned my lesson about living in Central Oregon.... weather is unpredictable, and La Pine can always be projected to be 25 degrees colder than Bend!

No comments:

Post a Comment